How do I add an e-mail filter?
Posted by Mike C. on 11 September 2009 06:18 PM
You can block an e-mail using spam filters. There are many definitions of spam, but one particularly useful one is the following:|
"Spam is the electronic version of junk mail, and has been around since the Internet was created. E-mail filters are a way of filtering your e-mail to remove unwanted mail based on a variety of criteria. You can block any sort of e-mail, not just mail of a commercial nature. Blocked mail can be deleted automatically or sent to another e-mail address or script".
To add an e-mail filter:
1. Click on the E-mail Filtering link in the Mail area.
2. Click on the Add Filter link.
3. Click on the required header field in the first drop-down list. These are the various fields in any e-mail message.
4. Click on the required filter action in the second drop-down list. This action will act on the text entered in the third field.
* equals - match the text exactly (whole words only). "Credit" will block "Credit".
* matches regex - matches the text based on regular expression (regex) rules. Regular expressions are a powerful but complex area. You do not need to use regular expression filters for most circumstances.
* contains - match the specified text in any circumstance. "porn" will block "porn" and "pornography".
* begins with - match the specified text when it is the beginning of a word. "porn" will block "porn" and "pornography" but not "teenporn".
5. Enter the filter text in the third field. This text is case sensitive.
6. Enter the destination for the filtered e-mail in the Destination field. There are three separate types of destination:
* Destroy the e-mail - Enter Discard in the field.
* Redirect to another address - Enter the e-mail address to which to redirect the e-mail.
* Redirect to a script - Enter the full script path on the machine that hosts your web site.
7. Click on the Activate button.
* To redirect all e-mail from "[email protected]", enter: From, equals, [email protected], [email protected]
* To delete all e-mail from paradise.net, enter: From, contains, paradise.net, Discard
* To delete all references to pornography, enter: Any Header, contains, porn, Discard
* To discard all e-mail that Spam Assassin has marked as spam, enter: SpamAssassin Spam Header, begins with, yes, Discard